The oldest jewel in the crown of the Faculty of Medicine's heritage

The Jardin des Plantes is the oldest jewel in the crown of the Faculty of Medicine's heritage. More than four centuries of shared history have united these two institutions without interruption. Their complementarity stems from a common goal: the knowledge, celebration, and preservation of life—human life for the Faculty of Medicine, and plant life for the botanical garden.

In the Middle Ages, Montpellier established itself as a trading city, well located near the sea, the plains, and the scrubland. Simple spices were sold there for everyday consumption but also for therapeutic use. Medicine and, more generally, medical education developed there. Among the teachers, illustrious scholars occupied the chairs. Gui de Chauliac and Arnaud de Villeneuve were pioneers, Michel de Notre Dame, known as Nostradamus, and Rabelais were notable students. All were interested in botany.

Guillaume Rondelet, founder of scientific botany, formalized herbology during a stopover in Béziers in October 1550. The city has remained one of the world's leading centers of botany to this day.

A botanical garden finds its raison d'être, if not in the city itself, then at least in the minds of those who will bring prestige to the city. Was Rondelet not himself the son of an "aromatarius," or spice merchant? His era saw the birth of a modest "hortulus" attached to the University of Medicine. Who could have predicted that, thanks to the will of Henry IV expressed in two letters patent dated December 8, 1593, and the passion of one man, the prestigious Royal Garden of Montpellier would soon appear, 40 years before Paris saw its own garden blossom?

46 460

square meters of surface area

+ of 4 000

open-air plant species, including 760 trees

1 000

greenhouse plant species

The Royal Garden

It is now time to pay tribute to the physician Pierre Richer, for it was he who, shortly before the end of the 16th century, brought to fruition what the pioneers had once envisioned by creating a "royal garden" in Montpellier for teaching future physicians and apothecaries about plants.

In 1622, during the reign of Louis XIII, Richer's (ennobled under the name Belleval) first "medical garden" was destroyed during the siege of Montpellier. This destruction led to the creation of a second royal garden in Paris, which will celebrate its fourth centenary in 2035.

Richer devoted his entire life, all his efforts, and his fortune to bringing this project to fruition. He restored the Montpellier garden at his own expense and spent the last ten years of his life beautifying it, tirelessly repairing the damage caused by the civil war. Through his passion and his work, Richer de Belleval followed in the footsteps of Montpellier's botanists.

During the Ancien Régime, Montpellier's Jardin Botanique was home to eminent physician-naturalists such as Pierre Magnol, the greatest botanist of his time, François Boissier de Sauvages, a correspondent of Linnaeus, Paul-Joseph Barthez, Antoine Gouan, and many others. It was in his Ecole systématique, which had a universal influence, that the first classification of plants by family was developed and Linnaeus' method was disseminated in France. This scientific mecca is commemorated by busts of all the scholars who worked here.

A true technical feat thanks to the skillful use of shade and sunlight, the garden soon became a paradise for the humanist spirit, illustrated by masters who were as skilled in medicine as they were in botany or anatomy. It was the meeting place for revered masters, both students and the curious, during which, sometimes in the company of gardeners, they would stroll along the paths to discover useful or curious plants. They conversed as much as they taught. They experimented as much as they observed, and this tradition continued throughout the 18th century, during which the Royal Garden was the scene of public education.

A second youth

At the end of the 18th century, this garden almost disappeared along with the teaching of medicine. It enjoyed a renaissance from 1800 onwards, during the time of Auguste Broussonet, Augustin-Pyramus de Candolle, of Swiss origin, and Alire Raffeneau-Delile, who maintained close ties with the Museum. Its revival was marked by a beautiful orangery dating from 1804. Its area increased considerably on two occasions, between 1808 and 1851, thanks to the municipality of Montpellier, which acquired various plots of land and donated them to the Faculty of Medicine. Now covering 4.5 hectares, the number of species cultivated could be significantly increased.

Many naturalists honed their skills during stays in Montpellier, including Thomas Platter, future anatomist from Basel; Ogier Cluyt, second prefect of Leiden; Pierre-Joseph Garidel and Joseph Pitton de Tournefort, from Aix-en-Provence and fellow herb collectors; Jean-Baptiste Fusée-Aublet, a specialist in exotic woody plants, Philippe Commerson, made famous by the Bougainville expedition, Jacques-René Quoy, who sailed 60,000 leagues and described many animal and plant species, and many others.

In 1889, the garden was adjacent to a botanical institute founded by Professor Charles Flahault. This institute, which is currently affiliated with the University of Science and Technology of Languedoc, is still a center for research, mainly in the field of ecology.

Opened to the public in 1841, it is frequented by a host of botanists, doctors and pharmacists, schoolchildren and students, as well as flora enthusiasts and tourists, often from abroad. Its romantic charm attracted many poets, such as Paul Valéry and André Gide, who came to meditate at the cenotaph of Narcissa, an 18th-century monument dedicated to a touching legend.

Montpellier has preserved many traces of these glorious episodes, including various herbariums, which were donated or bequeathed to the city. The doctors' herbarium, started by Chirac and Chicoyneau in the 17th century, is the source of a collection of four million plant samples. It also includes priceless iconographic collections.

Medieval medical botany was the catalyst for the rise of modern botanical science in Montpellier. The Montpellier Botanical Garden currently exchanges seeds with more than 700 other similar institutes around the world.

Located at the corner of Boulevard Henri IV and Rue Auguste-Broussonnet, the Jardin des Plantes gracefully raises its foliage toward the sky, a living and glorious testament to the deep roots of a university at the heart of its city. The garden, the university, and the city remain linked by several centuries of shared history, making this city, in the words of Urban V, "a smiling garden of science."

The Rabelais monument

Birth

In 1910, the Student Union wanted to erect a monument to Rabelais on the Esplanade, near the association's premises. At the instigation of Paul Ravoire, their Secretary General, a subscription was launched and a major national competition was opened to sculptors. Two sculptors, both students of Jean-Antoine Injalbert, were in competition. Jacques Villeneuve's "En vin vérité" was preferred to that of Jean-Marie Magrou from Béziers , "Fais ce que tu voudras" (Do what you will). This choice sparked a violent journalistic controversy .

For four years, the local newspapers raged. It took World War I to calm things down. Whatever one's opinion of this work, which its detractors compared to a chimney or a clock.

Once the resentment had subsided, it was decided to erect the monument in the Jardin Des Plantes.

The monument dedicated to Rabelais and the pleasures of life was inaugurated by President Millerand during the grand celebrations marking the 700th anniversary of the Faculty of Medicine on November 6, 1921.

The reconciled crowd was treated to a selection of fine speeches.

Description

On the front of the Monument

Overlooked by the bust of Rabelais, framed by portraits of Gargantua (left) and Pantagruel (right), the monument consists of a bas-relief illustrating a fable by Rabelais.

“The moral comedy of the man who married a mute woman.”

This farce was created to be performed on the Rue de la Loge stage and was performed by Rabelais himself.

 Here is a summary sufficient to understand the plot. The woman was mute. Her kind husband wanted her to speak. She spoke thanks to the skill of the doctor and surgeon who cut her uvula. As soon as she regained her speech, she talked so much that her exasperated husband returned to the doctor to ask him to remedy this problem and silence her.

“I am well versed in my art,” replied the doctor, “and know remedies that will make women talk. I have none that will make them shut up. The only remedy for a woman’s chatter is her husband’s deafness.”

The poor husband accepted this remedy, since there was no other. The doctors, by some unknown spell they cast, made him deaf. The woman, seeing that he could not hear a word she said and that she was talking in vain, became enraged with frustration at not being able to make herself understood. The doctor demanded his fee. The husband replied that he could not hear his request. The doctor threw a powder on his back, which made him go mad.

The mad husband and the enraged wife agreed to beat up the doctor and the surgeon, who were left half dead on the floor. Thus ended the comedy.

 

In front of the Monument

There are two sculptures illustrating the University:

  • An allegory of the Faculty, depicted as a woman in academic dress with a hood and stole, pores over Hippocrates' Aphorisms, translated into Latin by Rabelais and published in 1532.
  • A student, a medical student between the wars, wearing his cape and cap, holds out a cup to the writer. This gesture is evoked on the right-hand side by the divine bottle with the explosive onomatopoeia "trinc." The statue has suffered various forms of damage over time, including the loss of the right hand holding the cup of wine. This monument underwent restoration in October 2022 to restore it to its former glory.

At the bottom of the monument

The artist celebrates the vine and wine by depicting Silenus' triumph on his donkey, followed by a goat-footed figure playing the horn.

The rear of the monument

The reverse side of the monument, bearing the university's coat of arms, commemorates the doctorate degree obtained by Rabelais in Montpellier.

“Live Joyfully” adorns the back of the monument. This maxim guided the life philosophy of our dear François, a renowned humanist.

Brother Jean des Entommeures on the right and Panurge on the left are also depicted.

The loss of the Student's hand

It was in 1986 that the student's hand broke off for the first time. The bitter cold of winter was blamed. Mr. Jammes, from the Friends of the Jardin des Plantes association, came to glue the broken pieces back together.

Alas, she disappeared once again.

Following his second disappearance, a legend gradually began to emerge.

The loss of this hand holding the cup, an allegory for "the divine bottle," becomes a quest in which every Carabin can immerse themselves. In other words, the divine bottle is lost, and it is up to the students to search for it through their actions and by keeping their traditions alive.

 

Catering

Since the loss of the hand, the monument can no longer be appreciated in its entirety, despite this legend. In order to allow everyone to understand Villeneuve's work, the decision was made in 2022 to remake a hand for the student, at the same time as the complete renovation of the monument.

At the inauguration, all the residents of Montpellier were able to see the statue, as immaculate as it was in 1921.

  

Medical Students' Swearing-in Ceremony

 To celebrate their entry into the life of Carabin, at the end of their second year of study, students attend the Carabinage ceremony.

On this occasion, their peers accompany them to take the oath before our Master.

After that, it is customary to take a photo behind the Rabelais monument, where Rabelais' maxim, "Live Joyfully," can be seen. This phrase still guides the Carabins' conduct today. The pursuit of positive curiosity and pseudo-encyclopedic knowledge remain Rabelaisian notions that are dear to our hearts.